Tixati 3.11 – Neowin
Tixati is a free and easy to use BitTorrent client offering detailed views of all seed, peer and file transfer properties. Also included are powerful bandwidth mapping and throttling capabilities, and a full DHT implementation. Tixati is one of the most advanced and flexible BitTorrent clients available. And unlike many other clients, Tixati contains NO SPYWARE, NO ADVERTISING and NO GIMMICKS.
The portable version of Tixati is intended to work on a USB key or other portable medium. It stores all of its configuration files in the same folder as the executable binaries, and all file paths are stored in a format relative to the program’s executable folder.
It is important not to delete the “tixati_portable_mode.txt” file in the executables folder. It is this file that triggers the execution of Tixati in portable mode. (The executable binaries are actually the same as the standard edition binaries.)
When running the portable edition from a USB flash drive, especially one formatted as FAT16/FAT32, you may experience some lag when initially loading a new transfer. This is because initializing and allocating large files on flash media consumes more time and resources compared to a conventional hard drive.
Tixati has the following features:
- detailed views of all aspects of the swarm, including peers, coins, files, and trackers
- support for magnet links, so no need to download .torrent files if a simple magnet link is available
- super-efficient peer throttling/unblocking algorithms ensure the fastest downloads
- peer-to-peer connection encryption for added security
- full DHT (Distributed Hash Table) implementation for trackerless torrenting, including detailed message traffic graphs and customizable event logging
- advanced bandwidth mapping of overall traffic and traffic per transfer, with separate classification of protocol and file bytes, and with separate outbound traffic classification for commerce and seeding
- Very flexible bandwidth throttling, including negotiation/seeding proportion adjustment and adjustable priority for individual transfers and peers
- bitfield graphs that show the completeness of all uploaded files, what other peers have, and the health of the entire swarm
- customizable event logging for each download and individual event logs for all peers within the swarm
- expert local file management features that allow you to move files to another partition even while downloading
- 100% compatible with the BitTorrent protocol
- Native Windows and Linux-GTK versions available
Tixati v3.11 Changelog:
New BitTorrent v2 support
- A complete BEP-52 implementation has been added to the program. The main advantage of this is the use of the block-level SHA-2 hash function instead of the coin-level SHA-1. However, there are also many other changes from the v1 protocol that required a major overhaul and rewrite of the core torrent/peers/trackers/pieces logic. Combo version 1+2 torrents are also fully supported.
- All tracking functions have been completely replaced with a newly written implementation. Dual-protocol, dual-interface announcement is now fully supported for each individual tracker.
- A tracking presets feature has been added, accessible from Settings > Transfers > Tracking. These presets can be set by simply right-clicking on any transfer in the main window and using the Trackers submenu. They are also accessible from the standard tracker edit dialog, the transfer preload window, and the new seed creation dialog.
- A default preset for newly loaded transfers can also be selected in the settings window. This will be set in non-private transfers, on upload, before applying individual tracking options.
- The peer-to-peer connection logic has been extensively rewritten with major improvements in several areas. This was necessary to meet the new messaging requirements of the v2 protocol, in particular coin selection algorithms and file hash field synchronization with other peers. The new implementation takes full advantage of the fact that while a transfer downloads only a subset of files, the new v2 protocol allows clients to download only the hash data for the files needed. If handled correctly, it saves bandwidth, time and memory, especially for extremely large torrents when only a few files are needed.
- There was also a need in hybrid swarms to allow dual connections so that peers could communicate on v1 and v2 simultaneously. This is sometimes necessary in situations where there are many v1-only clients in a swarm and the v2 hash information is not fully available, which, following the spec as written, prevents items from being be available through the v2 connection.
- The peer connection selection and management algorithms have been completely replaced by much more modern versions that can efficiently manage multiple ports connected from the same IP address, perform regular duplicate peer ID detection, and prioritize connections by depending on their protocol and the availability of parts. Unusual situations such as losing parts, or going from a complete state to an incomplete state, are now handled with great precision. The process of collecting meta information from peers has also been significantly improved and is much faster when dealing with extremely large torrents.
- Web seed support has been completely overhauled. Peak speeds are much higher and much less CPU usage is required to maintain a continuous stream of data.
- For better control of web seed connections, a brand new web seed request limiter has also been created. This is available from Settings > Transfers > Peers. Concurrent connections can be globally throttled based on hostname, and other rate limiting/limiting settings can also be set. Rules can be customized for different hosts. [full release notes]
All the movies shown in the screenshot above are from PublicDomainTorrents.info: Free Legal Torrent Downloads.
Download: Tixati 3.11 (64-bit) | 16.2 MB (freeware)
Download: Tixati 3.11 (32-bit) | 16.0 MB
Download: Portable Tixati 3.11 | 78.2 MB
Download: Tixati 3.11 for Linux
See: Tixati website
Get notified of all our software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware