English fans torn by Eddie Jones’ decision to be more annoyed
Every time Eddie Jones names an England 23 there is invariably a torrent of criticism, and his last side to face Tonga on Saturday is no different.
But there are two decisions in particular that have pissed off fans online the most, and that is the decision to start Tom Curry at No.8 and Marcus Smith on the bench. Curry’s move to the back of the scrum means Alex Dombrandt can only manage to bench, while Sam Simmonds wasn’t quite part of the 28-man squad for this game. Meanwhile, Owen Farrell will start at the opener in what will be his 100th test match.
The Harlequins duo of Dombrandt and Smith have arguably been England’s two formers in 2021, and although they’ve been capped this summer, starting only on the bench isn’t good enough for many fans. Of course, that’s not a criticism of Curry, who may be the first name on the roster for England. But the Sale Sharks man is primarily used as a flanker for his club, and indeed was for the British and Irish Lions this year, starting all three tests against the Springboks on the openside flanker.
These two decisions were certainly the most discussed, but Option No8 may have elicited the most outrage, which is perhaps understandable as it is not Curry’s natural position, as Farrell deserves to be. keep shirt No10. Jones also said Smith hasn’t trained much this week due to an injury.
Compared to the resentment that there has been in the past where Dombrandt and Smith weren’t even part of the England squads, this is undoubtedly a step forward, but fans obviously want to see a little more experimentation against Tonga. Then again, 2021 hasn’t been a great year for England, and with the Lions as well, this team hasn’t played well together for quite some time, so this game for Jones may be about the team again.
This is what was said:
We have some real number 8s, but hey, let’s put Curry in there… .🤔
– Mark Budd (@ Buddyboy51) November 4, 2021
Petition for Eddie Jones to stop picking curry at age 8 !!!
– Hadley Ravenall (@HadleyTRavenall) November 4, 2021
Smith and Dombrandt have been the fittest players in any position for over a year, but no, just put them on the bench for a game we would win regardless of the start. Ridiculous. Eclipses the selections of Steward and Radwan (Malins also not included is strange)
– Tom (@rugbytomc) November 4, 2021
Argh! Curry at 8 with Dombrandt on the bench, Youngs at 9 with Mitchell on the bench, Farrell at 10 with Smith on the bench. Unbelievable.
– Ben Bradford (@ BenBradford5) November 4, 2021
It’s ridiculous, curry doesn’t even play 8 for Sale and he’s selected ahead of Dombrandt. This is the same team that failed in the 6 nations.
– Rhys (@ MightyQuins12) November 4, 2021
Curry at 8am? Is it real? With Dombrandt on the bench? Hmmmmm… ..
– BW (@BW_evo) November 4, 2021
Is this a parody count – two of the best No 8s in Europe and we’re playing a 6v8? Isn’t Eddie looking at the Prime Minister?
– Robin Hyndley (@hyndley) November 4, 2021
What is that ? Your best 6 as 8 a lock as 6, your best 8 on the bench. You might as well play Hill at 9! And speaking of that, why start with Youngs and Faz! What will they learn well!
– Bonfire Smoke (@TheLondonSmoke) November 4, 2021
I love Curry as a player, but he doesn’t play 8 for sale, I’d love to hear Sanderson’s thoughts on that pick. Play it in its best position. It’s good to see Radwan and Steward.
– Phil (@PWo_Sport_View) November 4, 2021
ENGLAND XV STARTERS
15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
14. Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, 1st cap)
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 40 caps)
12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 43 caps)
11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 66 caps)
10. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 93 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 109 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 59 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 44 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 48 caps)
5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps)
6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 87 caps)
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 24 caps)
8. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 33 caps)
16. Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)
17. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 72 caps)
18. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
19. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
20. Alex Dombrandt (Arlequins, 1 selection)
21. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 2 caps)
23. George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 4 caps)